Scott Hakala has analyzed numerous businesses involving in providing health care services, health insurance, and medical products. Businesses analyzed have included:
- Insurance providers (traditional health insurance companies, HMOs, PPOs, PPO networks, third-party administrators or TPAs, dental insurance, self-insurance, or captive insurance entities, claims processing and management companies)
- Ancillary diagnostic, testing or treatment facilities (ambulatory surgery centers, infusion services, dialysis centers, imaging centers, blood testing and screening companies)
- Individual hospitals, hospital chains, and public hospital management companies (for-profit and non-profit organizations, specialty hospitals such as psychiatric hospitals
- Medical device and medical equipment manufacturers, rental companies, and suppliers/resellers (including large public companies to single product development stage medical device companies, contract manufacturers, marketing organizations, licensors of patents, and durable medical equipment companies)
- Pharmaceutical and related medical products companies (including large public companies, specialized pharmaceuticals, contract manufacturers of such products, research and development companies, and licensors of patents)
- Nursing facilities (retirement housing, long-term care facilities, rehabilitation facilities, skilled nursing facilities, providers of physician or other services to nursing homes), rehabilitation clinics and operations, home healthcare
- Medical services, practice, and facilities management software
- Physician practices (small or single physician practices; group practices; practice management companies; hospital owned practices; primary care as well as many specialty practices such oncology, orthopedics, pediatric, OBGYN, cardiovascular, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, and rehabilitation)
- Managing Director, CBIZ Valuation Group, LLC
- Chief Executive Officer of Laser BioTherapy, Inc.
- Assistant professor of Economics at Southern Methodist University
- Taught graduate and undergraduate courses in macroeconomics, monetary/financial economics.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Economics – University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics University of Minnesota, Duluth, Minnesota
- CFA Charter, The Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts, completed all tests and requirements for a CFA designation